Friday, 16 March 2007

That Mental Shift

There's a time when you find there is a small click in your mind. It's not too loud, barely audible, but you usually know when it happens because you do hear a tiny little snick and find that something you have been grappling with now has amazing clarity.

I've had it happen a few times writing the first draft of my novel, times when my brain refused to go forward no matter how much I cajoled, threatened, begged or even beat upon it. when the despair would be close enough to be palatable it would come to me, that mental movement that I required to either see my issue in a new light or deal with a situation in another manner.

Right now I am trying to get that mental shift to come to me again. The process I need to make whatever part of my grey matter realise that it has a job to do and the sooner it just accepts it and gets on with the job the sooner both of us will be happy.

So what am I waiting on my mind to work out? It's simple, I have to get into my head that despite the fact I have faced my demons and written near 500 pages of a first draft, I now need to go back and start from the start and work on that draft. Take it from my basic idea and turn it into something engaging, something that others will want to read so they can leave their own lives behind just for a few chapters at a time. They want to be stimulated and taken places that their own imagination can't take them.

If I can get this next draft done I'll be close to taking them there. I just need to hear something. That little snick. That mental shift.

16 comments:

Jennifer Talty said...

Shhhhhhh, I hear something...you hear that? Come closer to the screen. Listen very carefully.

JUST DO IT! CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK.

There, mental shift. Now go do it before I figure out a way to come over there and really smack you upside the head, or pull you ear like I do with my boys. Geez.

Barbie Jo said...

I hate to say it... but sometimes you wont hear that "click" until you get off your duff and start to read the 500 page first draft!

Yup, you guessed it. You're biggest fans will now "shift" and become your biggest ass whooping team you've got.

So Cowboy up and bend over!!! There's no better time to start than now!

Jennifer Talty said...

Can I borrow your mental shift? Or maybe just a brain for a few moments, mine seems to be on vacation.

Kari Lee Townsend said...

Cowboy up and bend over??? LOL!!!! Snort. Now, that was funny right there.

Get ready for your ass whooping, brotha! Right after the gallah;))

Jennifer Talty said...

Shhhh, I think the bunnies have been into the drinkypo again...

Kari Lee Townsend said...

I wish, but NOT, Jen!!! Just wait until this weekend, then it's par-tay time for the bunnies.

By the way, I just posted more pictures of our little "night" on my blog;))

Barbie Jo said...

Geez, I thought "Cowboy up" was pretty good. Don't all those outback gents wear those "brush" hats with the little stringy things to keep them on? Okay, so the image is in my head, don't know about the rest of you wankers!

*snort* I crack myself up!

Hey, anybody notice Oz isn't posting back? We're just chatting amonst ourselves on HIS blog? How wierd is that??

Oz...???? did the monster in the woods gobble you up??? Come out, come out, wherever you are??

Oh, and I've posted a little Fly Girl quiz on my blog so go check it out. Youre our biggest fan, so you MUST get the answers correct or suffer the consequences....

And I thought you were our Brad Pitt for the road trip? Jen is changing her nav. system to an aussie accent remember???

Giddy-up!

Jennifer Talty said...

Hey there Barbie - Um, you've got your own Brad Pitt, remember.

And Barbie - The OzMobile will be by to pick you up at 7:15 - better hide those girlies because I'm feeling a bit nurpleish! That so called quiz was just mean!

Barbie Jo said...

Who the hell is my Brad? I'm confused. Give me a clue....

I still think the Fly Girls are taking ove Oz's blog.. Okay, THAT just painted a really wierd picture in my overactive brain. Oh yeah... fly girls brandishing swords, wearing knee-high black boots and cami's. ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Yo! anybody alive out there??? Does someone still need an ass whooping?? Jen, crack the whip!

Jennifer Talty said...

Poor Ozwriter - his blog has been taken over by the "girls" Snort. I know, you lost you blogger at work, but why do I always have to come over here and say, "Time for a new post, dude."

I know that mental shift has started to occure. Besides, Barbie is bored and we can't have a bored bunnie.

yes, I'm still avoiding what I'm supposed to be doing...shhhhhhh.....

Barbie Jo said...

would you look at this??? There has been no Aussie interjection during this entire blog post! Yes, I would say you've been overrun. Yup, the Fly Girl flag is unfurled.

I'm not bored...yet. But you just reminded me, Jen of what I need to do for your little surprise tomorrow. (insert evil laugh) And don't forget the paint that you said you were bringing!!!!

Okay, I'll say it too:

Time for a new post, mate!

Amanda said...

Hrm... You have not posted in a while... where have you disappeared to?

Jennifer Talty said...

Okay my little lightening bug - mental shift is now over.

Get your ass back here and make a post or I will come after you!

And get back to writing.

Kari Lee Townsend said...

Still shifting, huh? Well, stop and get writing.

Jennifer Talty said...

I thought you were starting to feel "twichy". Get working!

Barbie Jo said...

Shifting? Twitchy?? Sounds like a personal problem to me! (ha ha)

Hey, I've been getting flack because I hadn't posted since about this time too! (Hmm....people could be talking! *snort*) KIDDING!!!

I finally blogged - Tag you're it!