Sunday, 4 February 2007

The End is in Sight - 122,500 Words

Oh it's getting close now, I can almost taste it. After a 5,000 word weekend I'm definitely in the final straight and this first draft is very close to being finished. My protagonist is in his final challenge and I have thrown a couple of curly issues his way. With a bit of luck there is less than 10,000 words to the end. I have nothing more I want to do, I don't want to send them anywhere else. Closure time isn't far away. I wonder if he'll survive?

Man, it feels like it has taken a long time to get to this point, but fact is it has been not much more than three months since I started. So what will I do when I finish the first draft? Shelve it. Shelve it for a minimum two weeks, maybe four - if I can resist that long. I'm just going to print it out and stick it in a drawer and attempt to forget about it.

Already I know there is some major work to be done in the second draft. I've had some mythology that has been evolving while I've been writing, and attitudes at the start of the book seem to have matured somewhat by the middle which will necessitate changes to the early part.

Not long now, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting pretty bright.

9 comments:

Jennifer Talty said...

This is very exciting! And a very protuctive weekend. Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

Kari Lee Townsend said...

Good for you. Keep plugging away and it will be here before you know it.

OzWriter said...

Thanks Jen & Kari. Seeing the success of writers like yourselves is what is helping inspire me to finish. I've wanted to give up a lot of times, A LOT OF TIMES. But I'm hanging in there.

Glenn

Barbie Jo said...

Oh definitely hang in there! 5,000 words til "the end" - YOU GO!!! There's something to be said for that indescribable feeling when everything gets wrapped up and you write those two little words... By the time I finished my first book, those two words were HUGE! The second book was more like "Whew! yeah, I'm done! What an awesome story." The feeling was totally different the first time around.

Just wait! And okay, shelve it for a bit. (not too long!) But while that one's sitting you need to start page one of something new! That's right, cuz you're a writer and that's just what we do!!

Keep us posted on your progress!! Oh, and why did you ask if your character would survive? In one short paragraph - what is your book about? (okay, so you may have written this in an earlier post but I'm too lazy to go back and look for it!) :P

Jennifer Talty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Talty said...

oops. I posted a half writen word. Sorry, I just deleted it. That was me, sorry.

Okay, so, what I was about to say, if you ever quit I will smack you upside your head! I find away, trust me.

And, for the record, you inspire me all the time! :)

OzWriter said...

Heya Barbie,

At the moment I am still - perhaps naively - keeping the premise of the story to myself. I am trying to make it scary, I don't think it will slot into horror though.

Probably once I get to the end of the second draft I might get a bit more open publicly what the book is about.

Glenn

OzWriter said...

Hey Jen, you posted only a couple of minutes before me. But you ready for a freakout, YOUR POST IS MY YESTERDAY!!!! Oh my gawd!

Hehehehee

Glenn

Jennifer Talty said...

DOUBLE SMACK!