Sunday, 21 January 2007

Writing Addiction

To think I have spent so very many years wanting to write (and not being able to) yet now that I have started I can't seem to stop. Not only can I not stop, but I think about it all the freakin time!

From this coming Wednesday I am supposed to be away on a long weekend camping trip and whilst I am looking forward to it, I can't help but think about what will I do if I don't do any writing for the five days I'll be away. I don't have a laptop and running the computer in the tent isn't exactly an option. Mind you, as a highly intelligent friend at work oh so cleverly suggested, what's wrong with a pad and pen? Well for one, I am a reasonably quick typist and for two, I hate writing by hand. At the end of the day that's probably what I'll do because I just can't bear the thought of not writing for that long.

Last week I was in a meeting with some managers, very important things were being discussed I'm sure of it. But personally I was thinking about the character I had just killed off. I have no problem with killing characters, no problem at all. My issue with this particular character is that in killing him I am possibly putting the stops on my protagonist being able to leave to do the next thing he has to do. So I spent the whole meeting tossing up the pros and cons of killing the guy v's just almost killing him but not quite. To say I got nothing out of the meeting is an understatement...

So I'm always thinking about writing. Like when I'm lying in bed. Or driving the car, or on the motorbike. Doing the shopping, cooking dinner. Just about anything, in the back of my head I'm non stop thinking about what I am doing with this book and the things that have happened in it and the things that still need to happen yet. It doesn't stop, make it stop!

And when I'm not thinking about this book, I mean actually NOT thinking about it, what am I thinking about? I'm thinking about which story idea I want to write next. For crying out loud!!!

4 comments:

Jennifer Talty said...

Ozwriter,

Welcome to my world! My first book I actually wrote in long hand because I didn't have a laptop and we spend our summers at a nice lake and I had no computer. I don't like doing that, but if all else fails, yes, write it down one way or another.

What you are experiencing, is normal. Okay, maybe not normal, but it's normal for a writer. And you my friend, are a writer! I'll be driving my kids to practice, or a game, and their be yelling at me, but I don't hear them because my people are talking to me, or I'm playing a tape inside my head. The kids finally whack me upside the head to tell me I missed the exit.

My wonderful husband will be discussing some utterly profound about something and I'll realize I haven't heard a word he said. His favorite line, "The voices must be getting louder."

Yeah, I feel bad sometimes, but I can't help it. There's always something in my head. I carry a pad and paper with me where ever I go. I also have a voice recorder where I will talk to myself, especially if I'm in the car by myself.

I can't go a day without some form of writing. I try and work on WIP every day, but sometimes I have to research, but there is note taking and putting in perspective with my characters, outlines, whiteboards, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Now go write something!

Barbie Jo said...

HA! I was going to say "welcome to my world", but Jen beat me to it! I can so totally relate. My last post was about the voices in my head. I constantly have pen & paper somewhere nearby for those time I can't have my laptop. I mean, driving home from Wal-Mart last week I had this awesome idea for another Young adult book! Mind you, I've already written a synopsis for my 2nd book in the series, but this one is totally different. The characters just popped into my head while I was driving. No computer in site. So I rambled off some plot issues and kept the voices talking until I got home, fired up the laptop and quickly typed out a paragraph. It's still saved on my computer - I'll get to it - but the characters haven't stopped talking. (I hate that they don't know when to take it down a notch!)

I envy you a 5 day camping trip. The outdoors is great! Fine time to take pen and paper and maybe even sketch out a scene or two, or take some detailed notes that you may be abe to use in a later novel.

Listen to the voices....

Kari Lee Townsend said...

Oh, yeah, the voices. All I can say is writers are a strange breed. But that's what makes us so creative!!

Keep those ideas coming and keep that pen and paper handy.

OzWriter said...

I'm very happy to hear that this is normal behaviour, even if it aint normal...