Saturday, 30 December 2006

The Second of Two Full Days - A New Milestone!

I made it, I did it, and I did even more than yesterday. You want to believe I am a happy author today. There was a lot of ground covered, some new ideas that came to me, a worrying time when I felt I was writing my plot into a corner but then another idea came to me which fixed all that beautifully and by 6pm I was done.

How many today? 7,200 words, which is almost a thousand more than yesterday. Grand total for the two days, 13,500 words! Tis a day to be proud, tis a day to be happy, tis a day to go and buy me some Jack Daniels and celebrate I think.

Now a shrewd reader might also be wondering about the total word count at this point, and that's why I am so happy right now. I have hit, and passed the 75,000 word mark. So my original target count for the entire novel has been busted and I think I have at least another 30,000 words left in this first draft EASY. Total novel count by the end of the today is 81,800 words! Here are some more stats on the progress:
  • Word count 81,800
  • Started on the 26th of October means a daily average of 1,278 words a day
  • MS Word says I have been editing the document for a little over 87 hours
  • Page count is 308 which averages out at 265 words a page

Here are the last averages at 50,000 words just for comparrison:

  • Word count 50,200
  • Started on the 26th of October means a daily average of 1,321 words a day
  • MS Word says I have been editing the document for a little over 54 hours
  • Page count is 190 which averages out at 264 words a page

Cheers!

4 comments:

yvette said...

Wow, good job, Oz. I wish I could make myself write that much right now. My only consolation is the gazillion other things on my place. Very good deal. You'll have it published yet.

OzWriter said...

Thanks for the encouragment, Yvette. I think I am only capable of that much output when I am not working the day job. Unless I have a hard and fast idea with a fully fleshed out scene in my mind with the words are churning our of me, I only seem to be able to spit out about 1,000 words an hour.

Getting this novel to a publisher or agent next year is definitly one of my goals (whether one picks it up will remain to be seen). After I go over it again about a dozen times :-)

Glenn

Glenn

Melissa said...

Editing as I go along is what slows me up. I just have to make myself plow through. Good job, Oz! Cheers to you!

OzWriter said...

Melissa said...
Editing as I go along is what slows me up

For me I find that is one of the things that threatens to stop me in my tracks. I get really worried that if I go back and start editing - real editing - before this first draft is done because then I run a possible risk of finding no amount of other things to also stop the forward progress of the book, like staring at my navel...

Maybe on my next book (yes, must think like a real writer and believe I have more than one book in me) I'll know I have the discipline to finish what I started in the first place, but for now it is all about forging ahead.

Thanks for leaving the comment, Melissa, I hope what you have seen here so far is at least passingly interesting ;-)

Glenn