Tuesday, 28 November 2006

Where Did the Ending Come From?

What the hell? I'm writing away tonight, struggling a little with the next scene, when out of the blue I know how the book is going to end!

I don't know how the book leads up to the end, or even the pages immediately before the end, or how everything is going to tie in at the end. Only that the final page of the book hit me and I had to write it down immediately.

I'm exhilarated, I wasn't expecting this, I was figuring the end would eventually work itself out, somewhere near the end. But to have the finish of the book pretty well tucked away, it's a final roadblock I may not have to worry about later. I say may not because who knows, the end might change, except this has hit me with such clarity I don't think it will.

I'm also disappointed in a way. Where's my surprise end, where is my moment of, "Oh, so that's what happens."? But what am I going to do? Piss and moan or just get on with the job of writing the next half of the book?

I suppose I should be happy I got the first part of the scary scene done, the final page of the book, and another 2,100 words all in one evening. Well, I am :-)

No comments: