Thursday, 30 November 2006

POV (Point of View)

I was following links through various blogs and came across the blog by Yvette Lynn, who is a publisher for Amira Press. She has written a great entry about POV and the importance of not "head hopping" within a scene too quickly as it can be very distracting to the reader.

More she stresses the importance of that old ooooold adage, "Show, don't tell." The short version is don't flick back and forth between two characters in a scene talking about how they feel, the thoughts they have, the emotion in their head. Instead stick to one POV and use the actions of the other to show how they are feeling, and if you do it well it can be contradictory to what they are saying ie: "No, I'm not angry, I'm fine. Nothing wrong at all," she said as she smashed my Mother's priceless heirloom to the floor.

For the long version lick this link to have a look at Yvette's great post on Head Hopping.

2 comments:

yvette said...

Ozwriter,
Thanks for the post on me. I was so surprised and pleased. I must return the gesture in some way. From what I've seen of your posts, you are a good writer. Thanks again.
-Yvette

OzWriter said...

I don't know about being a "good" writer, but I certainly hope to get something finished of acceptable enough quality so that a good editor has something to work with! :-)

Thanks for your post, Yvette and please keep up with your blog. I think for newbie would-be writers like myself seeing such things freely shared is very encouraging and immensely helpful.